As recently as ten years ago, it was the steadfast custom to register for fine china, crystal and sterling silver as well as “everyday” (silverplate) flatware and dishware. But with our fast-paced lives and less occasion for formal entertaining, some couples question whether to include sterling in a modern wedding registry.
The biggest reason…while sterling silver is considered “fine” it is also very practical and can be used and enjoyed every day! Here are some things to consider as you make your decision:
- There are many sterling silver items beyond just flatware (eating and serving utensils) that you may want to register for. For example, sterling frames; barware; serving dishes such as trays and bowls; and tableware items such as cream & sugar and salt & pepper shaker sets are all wonderful (and functional) keepsakes that you will have forever.
- Sterling silver does NOT have to be polished often. Certainly not with every use. If you follow a few simple rules you can enjoy your sterling on an everyday basis. Rinse your silver flatware after each use in hot water. Keep it in a drawer when not in use. Don’t allow eggs or salt to sit on your silver.
- You do NOT have to wash your sterling by hand, it can go in the dishwasher. Just use non-citrus detergent and avoid the heated dry cycle (and some say that last step is not even necessary).
- Sterling silver will last multiple lifetimes. Which is far more economical in the long run!
- Nothing compares to the beauty of sterling. It elevates the plainest dishware to something special. You can have a “company worthy” table setting every day.
- Sterling items can be personalized with your name and wedding date. A hand-engraved monogram with your newly shared initials makes a beautiful statement.
- You can add to your family’s heirloom pieces. You may have a relative who passes down a set of silver in a discontinued pattern. Or one who passes down a set of silver that is split between relatives and therefore incomplete. At Beverly Bremer Silver Shop, you can register for missing pieces in both new and estate patterns and/or register for a compatible pattern to augment your collection.
- Once you register your pattern (which you can do anytime, whether you are getting married or not), we will have it in our database and you can opt to receive inventory updates on that pattern.
Sterling silver can be more expensive than stainless. However, you can register for it by the piece, which offers a wide range of price points. Many people love the option to give you a piece of your chosen sterling silver pattern, because it is something you will keep forever (as opposed to a trendy decorative item or everyday household item), and it is something that will always remind you of the person who gave it to you!
Many department stores no longer carry sterling flatware. Beverly Bremer Silver Shop fills that gap. We carry 1200 patterns, both NEW and ESTATE, and we have many hard-to-find pieces. If you are looking for something in particular and can’t find it in the store or on our website, just tell us and we will do our best to find it for you!
We have been helping couples with their wedding registries for over 40 years. Our personalized service makes all the difference. Call us at 404.261.4009 or 800.270.4009; visit our website’s registry page at www.beverlybremer.com/registry/registry.php ; or visit us at our Atlanta store.
Here are some silver items that are popular with couples creating wedding registries:
- Bon Bon Dishes
- Bread Trays
- Cocktail Shakers
- Cream & Sugar Sets
- Flatware sets and/or individual place pieces
- Flatware serving pieces (large spoons and forks, carving knives, ladles, sugar tongs, etc.)
- Gravy boats
- Ice Buckets
- Julep Cups
- Salt & Pepper Sets
- Serving Plates & Trays
- Water Pitchers
- Wine Stoppers
- Wine Coasters